By Calvin at 09:13 GMT, 5 years ago
Each year MoneySuperMarket releases news of the top 20 burglary hotspots in the UK. This year is no exception and I’ve listed the places in the UK with the highest claims per 1,000 home insurance quote enquiries over the past year (Whatever that actually means – newspapers are quoting ‘per 1,000 people’).
MoneySuperMarket has found that Manchester's M21 Barlow Moor and Chorlton-cum-Hardy postcode is top of this year's list with 45.2 claims for burglary, but more worryingly is that this is a big increase on last year’s top placed postcode, Leeds’ LS13, which topped the table with 34.8 claims in every 1,000 enquiries.
1. M21 - Chorlton-cum-Hardy; Barlow Moor, Manchester - 45.2
2. SE24 - Herne Hill; Tulse Hill (part), London - 41.8
3. N10 - Muswell Hill, London - 40.9
4. RM8 - Dagenham; Becontree; Becontree Heath, London - 35.9
5. N2 - East Finchley; Fortis Green; Hampstead Garden Suburb (part), London - 34.5
6. L18 - Allerton; Mossley Hill, Liverpool - 33.3
7. L22 - Waterloo, Liverpool - 32.6
8. N18 - Upper Edmonton; Edmonton (part), London - 32.3
9. UB6 - Greenford; Perivale, London - 30.9
10. SE27 - West Norwood; Gipsy Hill (part), London - 30.5
11. B73 - Boldmere; New Oscott; Wylde Green, Birmingham - 29.5
12. E8 - Hackney Central; Dalston; London Fields, London - 29.4
13. DN2 - Intake; Wheatley; Wheatley Hills, Doncaster - 28.7
14. N20 - Whetstone; Totteridge; Oakleigh Park, London - 28.0
15. E9 - Homerton; Hackney Wick; South Hackney; Hackney Marshes; Victoria Park, London - 27.8
16. N11 - New Southgate; Friern Barnet; Bounds Green; Arnos Grove (part), London - 27.7
17. N16 - Stoke Newington; Stamford Hill (part); Shacklewell; Dalston (part); Newington Green (part), London - 27.7
18. LS16 - Adel, Bramhope; Cookridge; Eccup; Far Headingley; Holt Park; Ireland Wood; Lawnswood; Moor Grange; Tinshill; Weetwood; West Park, Leeds - 27.6
19. B24 - Erdington; Tyburn, Birmingham - 27.6
20. HP10 - High Wycombe; Flackwell Heath; Handy Cross; Hedsor; Loudwater; Penn; Tylers Green; Wooburn; Wooburn Green; Wooburn Moor, Buckinghamshire - 27.3
Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket said: "Places affected by higher rates of burglary insurance claims tends to mean higher annual insurance premiums for those who live there, typically premiums are 24% more expensive on average. Higher value properties could expect to pay even more than this.
"If you have not previously been burgled, but there are higher rates of burglary claims made within your postal district, you are likely to be paying steeper premiums as a result. Insurers often take a blanket approach to assessing postcode districts for home insurance premiums rather than looking at insurance applications on a case by case basis.
"The key thing is not to simply accept your insurance renewal - even if you live in a postcode which has a higher claim rate for burglaries, you can still save a huge amount by doing your research and switching to a better deal online."
There is, of course, a bottom list, which features places like Buckfastleigh in Devon and Greenock in Inverclyde.
Personally worrying is the fact that I live next door to UB6, the place with the ninth worst claims history, so I’d better review my home security arrangements again!
So what should you do if you find yourself living in the top 20 list? Well, I think I’d do something now! You could start by carrying out our free Home Security Survey. Once completed you’ll be sent a report and risk assessment score. Save the report and click on the various links to get to the detail of what you’ll need to do. You won’t save much money on your insurance premium, because insurers quote on postcodes rather than individual dwellings, but you could save yourself from becoming a burglary victim.
Take the Home Security Survey: http://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/home-security-assessment/468/home-security-survey--diy/
And you could also win a light switch timer in our free to enter competition for doing it!