By Calvin at 17:36 GMT, 5 years ago
Derbyshire Constabulary have issued a warning to Land Rover owners to take extra precautions to protect their vehicles after several have been stolen from across the county.
Unfortunately their news story doesn’t specify the specific model or age (if there even is one), so all owners should take note.
This is what they’ve said:
Police are advising Land Rover owners and the wider community to be extra vigilant after an increase in the theft of the vehicles.
Between November 2013 and January 2014 a total of 12 Land Rovers were stolen, the majority of which were in the Chesterfield and High Peak and Derbyshire Dales policing areas.
T/Detective Inspector Gemma Booth from Chesterfield Volume Crime Team has provided the following crime prevention advice to protect your vehicle:
- Don’t leave your Land Rover unattended away from your house/business for any length of time. Choose car parks which are well lit and where there is CCTV
- Where possible park your vehicle overnight in your garage if you have one
- Fit an alarm/immobiliser and a tracker if possible. The alarm may not be so effective in a remote location. The immobiliser should prevent them “hotwiring” the vehicle and the tracker will help locate the Defender if stolen
- Block your vehicle in with other parked cars at your house/business
- Consider purchasing a steering wheel lock and/or wheel clamps
- Ensure that keys are not left in the vehicle or somewhere where a thief will easily find them, such as a hook on the wall, or a table in the hallway of your house
- Report any suspicious persons or incidents to the police on 101 or 999 if it is a crime in progress
- Consider security marking your Land Rover should individual parts be stolen, this will assist in later identifying any recovered property.
“We would urge anyone with information relating to these crimes to contact Derbyshire police using the non-emergency number 101.”
To report crime anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Source Derbyshire Constabulary: http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/News-and-Appeals/News/2014/January/13Jan-Crime-prevention-advice-issued-to-Land-Rover-owners-after-increase-in-thefts.aspx?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Further Crime Prevention Advice: http://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/vehicle-and-bike-security/505/motor-vehicle-security/%MCEPASTEBIN%